Projects‎ > ‎Sartori Rebreather‎ > ‎

Slow progress in Craig's dodgy rebreather workshop

posted Jul 21, 2011, 2:13 AM by Craig Challen   [ updated Jul 21, 2011, 3:16 AM ]

I have been working in fits and starts on the closed circuit conversion of the Sartori. After having dived it as a sidemount passive semi-closed rebreather (PSCR) in April I was happy with the merits of the project. The aim is to have a sidemount rebreather that is easily and quickly convertible from PSCR to CCR.

On stripping and examining the unit it is clear that there are some aspects to the design which will almost certainly increase the effort of breathing. I will attempt to address these as part of the project.




The head stripped off the rebreather with all connections removed. The hose ports seen at the front have an insert that fits into them. In my opinion the inside diameter of these inserts is far too small. We will bypass them.







The head turned over, after I have been doing a bit of artwork on it. 
The hole to the left is coming from the exhalation port. The one on the right was the same as this but I have enlarged it to fit 3 oxygen cells. This should have been done with a milling machine but since I don't have one I used a hand-held die grinder. A pretty rough job I'm afraid, but it will do.







For sidemounting I want the hoses to come from the top of the head, not from the front as originally as the hoses will point in the wrong direction and will be too vulnerable. Here I have drilled holes for the hose mounts.









The hose bases attached. I have used hose bases from the Megalodon rebreather. Above them is the gland through which the cable for the oxygen monitoring will pass.
At the lower left I have replaced the insert into the original inhale port with a blanking cover, since the port is no longer required. The other port will have the oxygen injector attached as the next step (stay tuned for the next exciting installment).


Comments